NEED FOR ORTHODONTIC RETAINERS:
Retainers are used by patients after the braces are removed. Instead of falling into a lackadaisical mode after removing the braces, it is imperative that we understand the need for orthodontic retainers and its usage.
If retainers are not worn or worn irregularly, the teeth are more likely to fall back into their original position especially in the first three to six months period immediately after braces are removed.
Thus it is essential to use the retainers with great care.
- Wear the retainers as explained. PLEASE DO NOT MODIFY DOCTORS’ INSTRUCTIONS.
- Initially retainers may induce more salivation than usual; this is a temporary phase and will pass in a matter of days.
- As the upper retainer covers your palate, speech thickens for a few days only.
- Clean the retainer twice with the help of hand brush and toothpaste OR a separate toothbrush and a mild soap will do.
- DO NOT USE HOT WATER TO CLEAN THEM.
- When you are instructed to wear them only part-time, store them safely in the retainer case in a moist environment.
- If they are worn irregularly they become tight, uncomfortable and ill-fitting. DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN.
- Avoid flipping or playing with the appliance with your tongue.
- Pets find retainers very attractive. Please keep them out of their reach.
- Purses and pockets are not meant to store retainers. In case of breakage, contact us for an early appointment.
- REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR RETAINERS AT EVERY VISIT.
- If you are wearing a semi-permanent lower wire retainer (LBR); do not bite into hard items such as apples with front teeth. In case it is dislodged, please bring it back to us, ask for an early appointment.
- Remember that retainers are not for ever.
- Wear your retainers at all times. Brush them and your teeth after each meal.