Braces & Orthodontic Treatment are done to align crooked teeth, irregular bites and close gaps between teeth. The process of realigning our teeth is slow and can be achieved from anytime between a few months to a few years depending on the severity of each case. Both children and adult might need an orthodontic treatment and it is necessary to follow these instructions to get the best results in the time period prescribed.
General Instructions for Braces & Orthodontic Treatment
• Your appliance is fixed to your teeth and cannot be removed until the end of treatment.
• Some discomfort may occur during the first few days.
• Special attention must be paid to oral hygiene as your fixed appliance will make it more difficult for you to keep your teeth and gums clean.
• If your appliance is causing persistent discomfort or becomes damaged or loose, call us for an appointment. If there is any sharp, projecting part of braces, cover it with orthodontic relief wax or wet cotton pellet. BRING ANY LOOSE BANDS AND ANY BROKEN PIECES
• You must continue to have ROUTINE DENTAL INSPECTIONS throughout your orthodontic treatment. If it becomes essential to change your next appointment, please let us know as soon as possible. Frequent delays make a good result unlikely.
- Brush your teeth and braces, at least three times a day (and always after eating).
- Clean between your teeth at least once daily (and always just before you go to bed).
- Use quality toothpaste Toothpastes containing fluoride have been proven to help prevent cavities.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash to help reduce the risk of cavities.
- Floss regularly and thoroughly
- Have your toothbrush and floss with you at all times so that you can clean your teeth even when you are not at home.
- Avoid sugary snacks (candy, ice cream, cookies, soda pop, etc.) that can damage your braces and increase your risk for cavities. Sticky foods should especially be avoided.
- Don’t chew gum, even sugarless gum
- Do not smoke or chew tobacco
In case of pain: Please take one pain reliever like IMOL or CROCIN
In case of ulceration: Please apply DOLOGEL or DENTOGEL ointment