Kids Dentistry Chennai
At Dr. Smilez we are happy to be able to provide a unique service to our young patients.
We have staff exclusively dedicated to make your children’s experience at the dentist comfortable and stress-free.We follow a unique approach to the oral health of children; we ensure that your children have a pleasant experience & don’t grow to fear Dental Treatments.
When Should I Take My Child to the Dentist for the First Time?
Children should visit a Pediatric Dentist when their first tooth appears and definitely no later than their first birthday.
What is the importance of baby teeth?
Even though your child will one day lose his/her primary teeth, it is important to care for them. The primary teeth are essential for everyday functions such as eating, speech development and many more. Early Childhood decay that causes pain in teeth and gums is a preventable condition.
Why should baby teeth be filled or repaired?
- Baby teeth that have decay should be restored to prevent the decay from spreading
- They should be cared for as they serve the same important purposes as the permanent teeth
- Baby teeth should be kept in place until they are replaced by permanent teeth. They reserve the space for the permanent teeth to grow into.
- If baby teeth are lost too early, the adjoining teeth can grow into the spaces that are needed for the permanent teeth. This can then cause crowding problems, as there will be insufficient space for the permanent teeth later.
- Decayed teeth causing pain will also discourage the child from eating thereby affecting their general health also
What is the best way of restoring a decayed baby tooth?
- Fillings can be done similar to adult teeth with composite material.
- Ready made strip crowns can be placed for badly broken-down front teeth.
- Pulp therapy with stainless steel caps are done for badly decayed back teeth.
How can we prevent tooth decay in children?
- Correct diet: Too much sugar in the diet and dental plaque on the teeth are the main causes of tooth decay and gum disease.
- It is important to cut down the amount of sugar consumed and to follow a balanced and healthy diet.
- Oral Hygiene and Plaque Control: It is important to maintain oral hygiene and brush twice a day
- Fluoride: Fluoride makes the teeth more resistant to decay and can also reverse initial decay process. Professional fluoride application can be done by the dentist in the form of gels or varnishes.
- Fissure sealants: They are thin composite materials that are placed in the fissures of a newly grown permanent tooth. They aid in making the tooth surface more smooth and easy for maintenance.
Our Paediatric Dentist provides:
- Regular Dental check-ups
- Dental health advice; including dietary advice and on tooth development
- X-rays to help detect tooth decay and presence of teeth
- Fluoride treatment to help prevent tooth decay
- Fissure sealants-plastic coatings to help prevent tooth decay
- Fillings as required
- Extraction of unhealthy teeth
- Local anaesthetic for fillings and extractions