What is a smile makeover?
A smile makeover is the process of improving the appearance of the smile through one or more cosmetic dentistry procedures
What are the considerations to plan a smile makeover?
A smile makeover takes into consideration your facial appearance, skin tone, hair color, teeth (color, width, length, shape and tooth display), gum tissue and lips to develop an ideal smile. Smile makeovers are performed for many reasons and customized according to one’s unique considerations.
What are the benefits of a smile makeover?
- A beautiful smile can have numerous effects on an individual’s self-confidence, self-esteem and personal relationships.
- A smile is an extremely important attribute; a Beautiful Smile will make one seem more attractive.
- A great smile might make one seem more intelligent, happy and successful.
- Cosmetic Dentistry procedures require regular oral hygiene care and may require perfect maintenance over time. For example, teeth whitening must be repeated in order to maintain brightness.
- Porcelain veneers may chip or break and need replacement.
- Permanent composite bonding may stain and require enhancement or replacement.
- Dental crowns typically require replacement after 10 to 15 years.
- Gummy smile improvements may also require enhancement over time.
Immediate Smile Makeover Procedures: These procedures are done when extensive treatment is not needed and can be done in a single visit. The most common procedures that can be done are for changing the color of stained teeth or minor repair of chips, cracks or spacing between teeth.
- Composite Bonding: Chipped, broken, or discolored teeth may be repaired or have their appearance corrected using a procedure called composite bonding.
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth are often stained from smoking, food, drink (coffee, tea or red wine) or poor oral hygiene. Bleaching them can enhance the appearance of your smile.
- Teeth and Gum Contouring: This can be done to change the appearance of a tooth by reducing the height, changing the shape of the tooth by minimal grinding without using any restorative materials.
Comprehensive Smile Makeovers: This requires a more elaborate treatment plan. Comprehensive smile makeovers usually require a combination of one or more cosmetic dental procedures. It is usually done in stages.
- Dental Veneers: Composite or porcelain laminates are adhesively bonded to the surface of a tooth to correct and repair chips and cracks. This will improve the worn-out appearance or severe tooth discoloration. Veneers may also be recommended if you have gaps in your teeth or if you have not had success with teeth whitening.
- All-ceramic crowns: All ceramic crowns play an important role in cosmetic smile makeovers. They are an ideal option to correct crooked teeth in patients who do not prefer an orthodontic treatment (Braces). The main advantage of this treatment is that the result is instant as opposed to orthodontics which requires a treatment period of at least a year
- Orthodontic treatment: Although orthodontic treatment is generally best carried out in children, adults can have orthodontic treatment too. The boom in cosmetic dentistry is prompting increased number of adults to wear braces & straighten their teeth.
- Lasers for gum contouring
- Highly aesthetic CAD/CAM Zirconia crowns
- Laser sintered-crowns
- Laser teeth-whitening
- Self-ligating ceramic braces
- Incognito braces
- Invisalign (Treatment with aligners)
Enhancement of Smile
Even a perfect smile can be enhanced with Tooth Jewelry – Tooth jewels add a sparkle to the smile. The range of jewels includes 22 and 24k gold, 18k white gold, brilliant cut diamonds, Swarovski crystals in various shapes and colors. The procedure involves bonding the jewel onto the tooth & can be removed/changed by a dentist easily.